Skip to main content

4 Virtues that you being a mother must instill in your child

You are a woman , a mother . Raising your child in a meaningful way is your duty which can be  challenging at times . I know you as a mother are doing the best on your part . You want to raise your child as a  kind , courageous , high performing individual . And you are already working in this direction .

It’s important that you as a mother instill some virtues in your child . After all virtues make one’s life meaningful .

The most precious treasure is virtue. – Gautam Budhha 

Virtue means power, strength, inner quality. Virtues define our character. There is an endless of virtues one should develop in herself and also instill in her child . Kindness, Hard work , compassion , forgiveness ,  spiritual principles , Respect for all , truthfulness , all these are the qualities of a good human being .

Here I am talking about just 4 virtues you as a mother must try to instill in your child . But there’s another strong aspect about instilling virtues in your child . That is that you should develop them first in yourself . Children imitate very well you know . So it’s better to live those  virtues first . Don’t just talk about virtues , live them.

As you do not sweeten your mouth by saying honey, so you do not grow virtuous by merely talking of virtue.

4 virtues a mother must instill in her child

virtues in your child

  1. Volunteering

Volunteering is the virtue by which you can contribute your part to make this world a better place . You make a physical and emotional impact on the community .

  • Volunteering makes you happy
  • It helps you beat the stress of life .
  • It gives a meaning to your life .
  • Volunteering is a greater term to Kindness .
  • Your social skills also improve.
  • Volunteering can make you better at team-work.

Last year , on the occasion of Guru Nanak Jayanti , there was a common function in our society . I motivated my daughter to do some kind of sewa . She volunteered to do joda ghar sewa .  She made numbered tokens , set up a stall and was happy to do this selfless service till evening . When it was over and we came back home , you know what she said excitedly – Mumma , next year Langar sewa !

Volunteering is a virtue everybody should have . Don’t  we owe to the ones who are volunteering in today’s lockdown period ?

2. Self-Discipline

Virtue of self-discipline is the key ingredient to success . If you follow a task consistently with passion , without waiting for the push from external force , that is self -discipline . In my classroom , I always cite imposed discipline versus self-discipline to my weak students .

Success in exams , results in gym or learning any art skill – they all require self-discipline . Discipline your thoughts first . Neither  be slave to your moods nor give excuses of less time .

  • Self-discipline gives you results.
  • It makes you happy.
  • You don’t have to regret later if you are self-disciplined from beginning .
  • With self-discipline , you start loving yourself more and more .

I don’t stop when I am tired 

I stop when I am done 

As April started , I took the challenge of a month long blogging challenge which requires self-discipline, I think . Along with me , my daughter  also took this challenge . Yes she runs her blog on alittlebloggirl.blogspot.com . She has just entered teenage and i was doubtful how long would she be continuing in the challenge . But she is up to the mark in her writing challenge . She is not so good at reading part , but I am happy to see her self-discipline in writing . As a mom , I feel great when she competes with me who is going to post first . You can check her posts here and motivate her .

3. Creativity

In today’s lockdown period , I am sure creativity is the thing which is saving you and keeping you happy . It’s true that some children are god gifted and exceptionally creative by birth . But you being a mother can take certain steps to instill the virtue of creativity in your child . Only essential part is that you yourself would have to involve with your child .

Creativity can be in doing craft work , drawing , dancing , baking or even dressing up . Indulge with your child and encourage him/her to puruse some creative activity . Creative work that  keeps you so engaged that you forget how time runs , is called Engagement . This is one of the important aspect of wellness .

  • Creative work keeps you happy.
  • Creativity is important aspect of  Wellness
  • The more creativity you use , the more you have .
  • Have no fear of perfection . Creativity is not a competition.

You and your child  together can do some DIY projects , read books ,or cook together . Now-a-days I and my daughter keep ourselves busy with doodling , cooking and blogging  . Oh yes ! Blogging also is creativity ! You too go and start your creative activities with your child today .

virtues

one of her doodles

4. Resilience

Resilience is the strength to stand with a strength every time you fall . We all face difficulties and  challenges  but resilience is what determines whether we fight through it and grow, or whether allow ourselves be defeated . Resilience is an  important skill you should instill in your child , because you never know how many ups and downs will be  posed  in your child’s life .

Set an example of resilience for your child . Continue to work in the right direction even after a failure . Don’t cry on little things . Even if you or your child cries , it’s perfectly OK . Tell your child that crying doesn’t always mean weakness . It’s just an emotion that maintains our emotional balance .

  • Train your child to be resilient even when report card shows less marks .
  • Don’t feel upset when the task doesn’t get accomplished at first attempt. Keep trying .
  • Don’t expect life to be easier . Learn to be more resilient .

Tough times don’t last . Tough people do .

You are a mother . You are given a beautiful responsibilty of raising a strong & virtuous child . Instill virtues in yourself and your child . Enjoy your motherhood .

Below is my post on WomensWeb when I and my daughter together took a fitness challenge :

Connect with me on FB or Twitter or Insta 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silver Lined Mommy' 

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember how i  had to bear my daughter

Keep Yourself Alive

 Are you alive ? Are you thankful that you are alive ? I am writing this in some spare  time at my workplace and a few minutes ago I got to know about the sudden death of one of our collleagues  . Always smiling and helpful to all , he was in his early forties . Leaving his family and kids crying  , he just decided to fly away , may be to a happier world ( atleast that's what i wish )  Well ! I never intended to begin with  anything of this sort but today's news has left me disturbed you know .  All i can do is to be thankful that I am alive , hale n hearty . Life is so unpredictable you see but still we all have filled our life with hatred , jealousy , competition, ego , leg-pulling , stress, frustration and what not . You or Me can just disappear in a moment and then ?  Let's simplify our life ....a life which is easy going , happy and filled with love for all . Let's stop rushing ! Let's stop judging others ! Let our ego go off with smiles , hugs and gratitude fo