Skip to main content

Fitness at home for women over 40 #embrace40

Fitness for women over 40  is a topic of discussion which I notice at my workplace , with my cousins and also on social media . Whatsapp and Facebook are a great source of all the gyan but they become a source of tension too at times . Watching all other posting smart pics or videos of them doing treadmill , may force our minds to go into a comparison mode and we start feeling depressed . Isn’t it ?

I am neither  a fitness expert nor a woman with a perfect fitness level . But I can share some practical  tips for you on ‘Fitness for women over 40’ .

fitness for women over 40

Kick the idea out of your mind that it’s difficult to maintain fitness over 40

Nothing is impossible . Even health experts say that fitness can be achieved at any age . By fitness you want energy , muscular strength , good metabolism and a body in shape . You may not get a slim figure as the girls of 20s but you can definitely be graceful . So first of all kick the stupid fact that it’s difficult to maintain fitness over 40 .

Be determined not to make excuses for fitness routine

You , being the home manager , have endless tasks to do . And if you are working also then it’s double the list . But if you want fitness you have to be determined to adopt a routine , may be of few minutes . Consistency is the key .

Stop procrastinating .

Stop repeating ‘Time hi nahi hai

Fitness for women over 40 – Begin at home

Cardio workout

Cardio workout is the thing that pushes your blood fast through veins . It may be brisk walk , skipping , aerobics or zumba .

If you want to go outside home and walk , it’s perfect . Otherwise if you want fitness completely within your home , try skipping . You may find it difficult in the beginning . Start with just 10 jumps . Continue same for 2 days . Third day you increase it to 20 or 30 as body agrees . Within days you will be able to take it up to 100 jumps .

How skipping just 100 a day reduced my size ?

Skipping is the workout which tones your whole body and is the fastest if you want to lose fat around thighs or waist .

If you don’t like skipping as your piece of cake , look out for some youtube videos on aerobics or zumba for beginners . Start slowly with few minutes of this dance cardio . I am sure you will soon fall in love with it .

Benefits of Cardio workout

  • Weightloss
  • Controls blood pressure
  • Better sleep
  • Better immune system
  • Makes you happy
  • You feel energetic
  • No money required , just a data connection for playing youtube

Planks

Planking is an excellent workout for  your entire body . Doing them every day will burn more calories than other traditional abdominal exercises .

Classic elbow plank and side plank  are my  choice, with  focus even more on side plank as i feel worried about that tyre around the waist . I still have to learn about other kind of planks .

fitness at home

That’s ME doing elbow plank

Benefits of  doing Planks

  • Core muscle strengthening
  • More flexibility
  • If you remain consistent , it helps in back strengthening
  • fat loss
  • better posture
  • no money required , just a stopwatch to note the hold time

Yoga

Yoga is  wonderful  choice when it comes to  fitness for women over 40 . It combines stretching and strengthening exercises along with breathing and meditation . It’s a complete body-mind workout .

Start with different kinds of pranayama for few minutes every morning . It will help you stay calm and energetic . Yoga makes an emphasis on mindfulness too . So being mindful may become a part of your life , while doing any kind of work – reading , cooking or eating.

You can choose yoga exercises as per your body needs . Like I choose the ones keeping my lower back pain in mind . They work out so effectively for me.

Benefits of Yoga

  • Flexibility
  • good stretch for  your body
  • Stress reduction
  • brings calmness
  • fat loss
  • no money required , just a mat

Nutritious food

Diet plays  an important role in   fitness for women over 40. Do take care of your diet . Don’t neglect yourself just taking care of all others in the family . Cook some delicious and nutritious  snacks just for   yourself and enjoy your company .

  • Kick refined sugar out of your diet
  • Control your carbohydrates
  • Increase your fibre intake
  • Make nuts an essential part of your diet
  • Walnuts are Fox nuts are the key ingredients in fitness  for women over 40

The Bottom line

Fitness can begin any time . Start at any age wherever  you are, right from the comfort of your home .

When you work for your fitness , The result is great results in physical as well emotional well being .

Please don’t make excuses . No Pain No Gain ! Take out time for yourself . You have to take care of your well-being yourself .

Incorporating any kind of fitness routine  can help enhance your health, increase strength and flexibility and reduce symptoms of stress, depression and anxiety.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silver Lined Mommy' 

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember how i  had to bear my daughter

Education 5E Model : Which are the most important Es ?

Hi ! My name is Monika and  I am a teacher . I am working in the field of Education or should I say the field of Teaching-Learning for the last 18 years . My Basic educational qualification is Bachelor of Science (Mathematics  & Physics as the main subjects ) followed by Masters in Physics . So I have been teaching these two subjects for the last so many years . I have spent more years teaching Mathematics than Physics . When we talk of Teaching-Learning or Education  , there are many theories and approaches  available. One of them is constructivist approach to learning . It  focuses on the principle that Knowledge must be constructed and not just transmitted. Unlike Traditional approach in the classroom , Constructivist approach focuses that the teacher poses problems and questions for the students . The students themselves try to find the solutions based on their prior learning . All this promotes curiosity and creativity among the students. I have often used the constructivist