Skip to main content

Reading is to the Mind what Exercise is to the Body

I do like reading but I can’t call myself an avid reader . I keep reading something or the other but I don’t have a big collection of books . Reading does relax me but I have never got very serious about reading as a fitness for my mind . Books do attract me every time and I think that is an instinct I received as a gift in my genes  from my father . He is a literature person , loves reading and has a huge collection of books on different genres .

As the year comes to an end , my mind was analyzing  how the  year 2019 went for me . In the process I also made a list of all what i read in this year . I was happy to notice that I read 10 books in this year . That’s a big number for me !

Here is what I read in 2019

In the  year going by , I have always kept some or the other book in my kindle library . Some books were so engrossing that I  finished them  happily while some other couldn’t interest me much and so I left them midway .

For the year 2020 I have decided to boost my reading . After all I have known since childhood :

“Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body”

Benefits of Reading:

Reading relaxes you

Reading a book takes you into a different world , you get to feel the  thoughts of other people …you get engrossed with  a new character and his/her story …..Definitely Reading takes you away from your own space , you get drifted away from your problems for a while . You get a lesson to learn from the book or the book just blesses you with emotions . As  the saying  :

You live several lives while reading  

Reading strengthens your writing and expression

More you read , better you are able to express yourself in writing . Whatever goes in , in the same form comes out .  Good writing is  creativity , Creativity comes from a vast thinking ability and thinking ability is enhanced by more and more reading . So it’s good to read more to write better . By reading more , your vocabulary also gets widened which helps you in writing .

Reading can help prevent Depression

Many times there are circumstances of hopelessness in one’s life . In that case the   self help books can help  push the parts of brain which can boost happiness index . Instead of scrolling on whatsapp for some motivational quotes all the time it’s much better to keep a good book in your kindle and read it as and when you get a little time .

There are many other benefits also and above all it improves your Focus making you  a Better person .

Having benefits of reading in my mind with the words FOCUS and BETTER on the top , I wanted to be part of a reading challenge in 2020. I came across two good reading challenges – first with Shinjini and the second one with Rachael .

I finally go for the Book Bingo Reading Challenge along with my blogger friend Shinjini . The whole challenge has 25 prompts from different genres and I plan to Bingo 3 or 4 rows/columns  . Focussing on the prompts and to give my reading challenge a good start , I have already designed an exclusive shelf on goodreads .

reading

The 2020 book bingo reading challenge prompts

Hoping for a Better and Creative 2020  ! A New year should have  new resolutions .

As I am writing this ,geared up for 2020 with the Book Bingo challenge , my daughter also takes a step forward for a new beginning   . She decides to go for the other reading challenge with Rachael . It feels happy to see children imitating .  That’s the best we as parents can gift them .

Here’s what my daughter has to say

Now that we both are  taking  part in these  challenges I am sure our 2020 will be full of book talks , discussing which books to get & where to get ,   sharing our readings and of course sharing the  learnings .

My good wishes for myself and my daughter !

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silver Lined Mommy' 

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember how i  had to bear my daughter

Keep Yourself Alive

 Are you alive ? Are you thankful that you are alive ? I am writing this in some spare  time at my workplace and a few minutes ago I got to know about the sudden death of one of our collleagues  . Always smiling and helpful to all , he was in his early forties . Leaving his family and kids crying  , he just decided to fly away , may be to a happier world ( atleast that's what i wish )  Well ! I never intended to begin with  anything of this sort but today's news has left me disturbed you know .  All i can do is to be thankful that I am alive , hale n hearty . Life is so unpredictable you see but still we all have filled our life with hatred , jealousy , competition, ego , leg-pulling , stress, frustration and what not . You or Me can just disappear in a moment and then ?  Let's simplify our life ....a life which is easy going , happy and filled with love for all . Let's stop rushing ! Let's stop judging others ! Let our ego go off with smiles , hugs and gratitude fo