Skip to main content

Education 5E Model : Which are the most important Es ?


Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Hi ! My name is Monika and  I am a teacher . I am working in the field of Education or should I say the field of Teaching-Learning for the last 18 years . My Basic educational qualification is Bachelor of Science (Mathematics  & Physics as the main subjects ) followed by Masters in Physics . So I have been teaching these two subjects for the last so many years . I have spent more years teaching Mathematics than Physics .

When we talk of Teaching-Learning or Education  , there are many theories and approaches  available. One of them is constructivist approach to learning . It  focuses on the principle that Knowledge must be constructed and not just transmitted.

Unlike Traditional approach in the classroom , Constructivist approach focuses that the teacher poses problems and questions for the students . The students themselves try to find the solutions based on their prior learning . All this promotes curiosity and creativity among the students.

I have often used the constructivist approach in my mathematics classes but sometimes you have to shift to the traditional blackboard method too. After all there is many times a zero error between theory and the real practical classroom. The reason may be a complicated formula , shortage of time , stress to finish the vast syllabus , the need to tackle those few  indisciplined students in the class , teacher’s involvement in many other activities apart from the subject , his/her own health or even the low enthusiasm of the  institution as a whole .

Well , keeping aside the minor errors , whenever I have used constructivist learning approach in my class , the results have been encouraging –both for the teacher as well for the student .

5E Model of Education

education

The Model is based on Constructivist learning approach.

5E stand for :

  • Engage
  • Explore
  • Explain
  • Elaborate
  • Evaluate

This is how my understanding of the 5E model goes :-

ENGAGE 

In the first phase of the learning process , you -as the  teacher , work to gain an understanding of the students’ prior knowledge . Ask them some questions whose answers you are sure that they know . When they answer correctly  , give a smile or a pat on their back . This way you are able to make a friendly connection with your students . That connection is something very important for the first phase of the learning process “Engage”  .Next is to engage the students in some creative activity which they can start to perform on the basis of their prior knowledge . Do  keep ready an upcoming concept to be concluded from that activity.

EXPLORE

During the exploration phase, students actively explore the new concept through concrete learning experiences. They might be asked to discuss with their peers to make observations. This phase allows students to learn in a hands-on way.

education

Engage and Discuss with Peers

EXPLAIN

This is a teacher-led phase that helps students understand new concepts and ask questions if they need further clarification. This is the phase when you as a teacher can make use of some sort of presentations or videos for their better understanding.

ELABORATE

This is the application phase of  5E Model where students apply their newly learnt knowledge in some problems ,and as a result  develop a deeper understanding.

EVALUATE

Last phase is evaluation when you as a teacher can observe the students and see whether they have understood the fundamentals of the new concepts.

education

Which are the two most important Es of the 5E Model ?

No doubt all the phases of the 5E model of Education are equally important and valuable for learning but my teaching experience says that the first two phases of the  5E model  based on constructivism learning approach , are the most important phases .

First important phase ‘Engage’

If you have engaged the student well with your activities , with your teaching strategy , with yourself , then half the battle is won. The student has started feeling a connection with you and your teaching method . A special kind of  bond  starts developing between the student and the teacher , and this connection is very important for achieving the overall educational objectives .

Second important phase ‘Explore’

Whenever a student explores a concept on his own , it may be a very little concept , that always makes a deep mark on the student’s learning platform . He is able to apply that concept almost everywhere in any of the tricky problems .

When the teacher plays the role of engaging the students actively, develop their curiosity, then the students’ creativity is bound to fly and the real learning happens so.

Let’s have a good, deep and interesting Teaching-Learning.

I never teach my pupils . I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn–Albert Einstein

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silver Lined Mommy' 

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember how i  had to bear my daughter

Keep Yourself Alive

 Are you alive ? Are you thankful that you are alive ? I am writing this in some spare  time at my workplace and a few minutes ago I got to know about the sudden death of one of our collleagues  . Always smiling and helpful to all , he was in his early forties . Leaving his family and kids crying  , he just decided to fly away , may be to a happier world ( atleast that's what i wish )  Well ! I never intended to begin with  anything of this sort but today's news has left me disturbed you know .  All i can do is to be thankful that I am alive , hale n hearty . Life is so unpredictable you see but still we all have filled our life with hatred , jealousy , competition, ego , leg-pulling , stress, frustration and what not . You or Me can just disappear in a moment and then ?  Let's simplify our life ....a life which is easy going , happy and filled with love for all . Let's stop rushing ! Let's stop judging others ! Let our ego go off with smiles , hugs and gratitude fo