Skip to main content

They call it Immoral Lump of Flesh #FGM #Astitva

I was a little girl at that time . My dress was pulled up and panty pulled down . The ladies tied my hands and my  legs were forced stretched apart . I was made to lie in a small messy room . I saw a  lady in black having a blade in her hand . And to my horror , something inside me was cut . I screamed and cried n cried but those ladies were smiling and even congratulating each other . 

Doesn’t it send jerks to you ? Didn’t your heartbeat increase after reading this ? What’s this happening  ? Where is it happening and why is it happening ?

Well ,  As I was reading today’s newspaper TOI , I came across a horrifying article plus the  thought for the day . The article was on Female Genital Mutilation or FGM in short . FGM is a cruel practice observed by many societies in the name of a religious practice . In India it is practiced by Bohra community , a sect of Shia Muslims . The little girls are circumcised before they attain puberty . By circumcised it means that the clitoral head of the girl is cut , saying that it is unwanted skin or it is the source of sin . The female Genital part is addressed as the Immoral Lump of Flesh . In their language they call it ********** . Well I am ashamed to even write that . The shameful part is that it is a practice being done by women to other women . Even the girls’ own moms and grandmoms are  committing this crime to the little ones . I was shocked to read the FGM  story of a girl . You may also read here on breakthesilence blog .

FGM

The article in TOI

The horrifying act of FGM or called Khatna in local Muslim language is a criminal offence which is often done with parental consent . When asked why is it done , they explain it as a measure to curb a girl’s sexual desire . Here watch a video of 3 women sharing their chilling FGM stories .

What society are we living it ? People are performing such criminal acts in the name of attaining religious impurity . Have they lost their minds ? What bullshit ?  How can women  put their own girl children to such frightful procedures ? Why ? Why ? Is the society given rights as whatever they can do with the girl child ? Such acts are torturing the girls physically , emotionally and sexually . And it is something that haunts the girl her whole life , the pain which is intense and indescribable , the tears which keep flowing inside heart forever . Across the world , around 200 million girls have been cut . Shocking ?????  It’s deplorable to see such criminals be a part of the so called  Modern 21st century.

In the month of May , I had self published my eBook #Astitva  on Women –the crimes and the age old customs and stigmas the women go through. Today I feel why did I miss including this topic of FGM in my book. This is another major  issue raising questions on the existence of women .  The topic needs attention . What can be done ? What else can I do except write ? Some law has be there to put a ban on it .  A petition was made seeking a ban on FGM and the supreme court has  accepted that petition . Hope some positive results come out .

On your part , what you can do is go on change.org and sign the petition against FGM. I have done my part .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silver Lined Mommy' 

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember how i  had to bear my daughter

Keep Yourself Alive

 Are you alive ? Are you thankful that you are alive ? I am writing this in some spare  time at my workplace and a few minutes ago I got to know about the sudden death of one of our collleagues  . Always smiling and helpful to all , he was in his early forties . Leaving his family and kids crying  , he just decided to fly away , may be to a happier world ( atleast that's what i wish )  Well ! I never intended to begin with  anything of this sort but today's news has left me disturbed you know .  All i can do is to be thankful that I am alive , hale n hearty . Life is so unpredictable you see but still we all have filled our life with hatred , jealousy , competition, ego , leg-pulling , stress, frustration and what not . You or Me can just disappear in a moment and then ?  Let's simplify our life ....a life which is easy going , happy and filled with love for all . Let's stop rushing ! Let's stop judging others ! Let our ego go off with smiles , hugs and gratitude fo