Skip to main content

#Bride Burning - Is it still practiced in 21st century ? #BlogchatterAtoZ #Astitva

The alphabet of the day is B

B stands for : Bride Burning

A piece of fiction on Bride Burning

Bride Burning

In today’s  exhibition , the painting with the title ‘Bride Burning’ was adjudged the best one. The painting depicted the face of a woman lost in flames. The painter , Jaya , was asked to come on the stage and say a few words. Someone from the audience asked  “Is Bride Burning still practiced in 21st century ? Isn’t it a concern of the past ?”

Here were Jaya’s words in reply :

I am a Woman , a Bride too ,  I have my own existence , My #Astitva

You don’t burn a Bride just by a matchstick

Whenever  you insulted  me , you tried to burn my respect

When you assaulted  me physically , you burnt the dignity of our relationship.

When you just didn’t  care about my emotions , you burnt the love that I had stored exclusively  for you .

When you doubted my character , you burnt the bond of trust between us .

When you came home drunk & showed your real character , you burnt the definition of The Better Half

My thoughts on Bride Burning :-

The statistics may have come down but the crime Bride  Burning is still practiced in India and many other south asian countries . Brides are burnt alive by husband or in-laws for dowry or when the couple is not blessed with a male child . The strange part is that the bride is totally held responsible for it . On one hand , people worship  Durga Maa  , the goddess and  on the other hand , they just don’t think even little before burning the brides . Are these the norms of a civilised society ? Are we really educated in the 21st century ?

#WhenWillWeChange

Much has been done on women empowerment . Then why are these crimes still form a part of the society ? Because there is no fear of punishment . The need is to form strict laws giving quick justice to the victims and  hard punishments  to the accused of such crimes . If everybody knows that the punishment for Bride Burning would be to face the heat   and scars on one’s own body too , then hands would automatically be controlled before lighting  up a matchstick .

Bride Burning

You can read about my post on ABUSE here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember ho...

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silv...

I am getting Older day by day

 I have stopped spending too much money on clothing or accessories......... I have stopped thinking too much about pleasing others....... I have stopped looking daily into the mirror ....... I have stopped cooking those time consuming delicious meals for my family ...... TV doesn't excite me as much now ....... My fingers can't scroll for long on facebook....... I don't feel like keeping longer nails - file or paint them....... Am i getting older day by day ? Travelling, Cycling or small get-togethers; I love to spend money and time  on experiences now...... Only the fitness goals push me to  look into the mirror ..... I am able to overlook others' reactions when it comes to listen to my heart.  I recently denied a loved one's advice because my heart was unable to  accept it..... I cry easily now when i relate to someone's emotions , even watching a movie ...... Am i getting older day by day ?  or  Am i getting freer day by day ?  I wish to be dre...