Skip to main content

#Foeticide - Don't you have emotions for the female in the womb ? #BlogchatterA2Z #Astitva

The alphabet of the day is F

F stands for : Foeticide

The dictionary meaning of Foeticide is the crime of killing of a baby who has  not yet been  born. This crime is committed mostly for females in the womb .

A piece of fiction on Foeticide

#Foeticide

Finally , after six years of marriage , their prayers were accepted and the couple could see two pink lines on the prega testing kit . The joyous  moment was shared by Sneha and Harsh , with warm embrace and wet  smiling eyes . As the news travelled to other family members , the response was not what they expected .  Instead of blessings , a null reaction came from Sneha’s mother-in-law  with the words :

“Get the test done first , hope it’s a Good Thing ”

“Good Thing ? What do you mean Maa ?” Harsh’s mind had  got topsy-turvy

” You know what I mean, Take her to the clinic , No arguments  ” Maa said with   a stern and pressurized look

Tension gripped the family atmosphere , especially the couple. Sneha was just not allowed to speak her mind and Harsh was an obedient son you know . Obedient even to the frown lines of his mother that had got magnified by effect of age wrinkles .

Harsh had to take  Sneha to the clinic recommended by Maa.  After few tests , the doctor said “It’s a  G…….Girl ”

Harsh’s face became white anticipating about the family’s suffocating responses . He was  in a fix , whether to choose a son’s obedience or  a father saving his tiny seed ??

Sneha’s eyes were  questioning  Harsh when  suddenly Maa popped up in the clinic room to know the reports . Harsh’s heart  was  immediately able to resolve the fix ,  he quickly  went towards  his Maa , with his  arms wide open

“Mubarak ho Maa , It’s a G……G…..Good Thing ”

All questions of Sneha got answered as Harsh flashed a teary and comforting smile to her.

My thoughts on Foeticide

In this story , A father  made  the right  move to save the tiny soul.  But in our society , the number of Foeticide cases are still very high . Not just uneducated people , but even highly educated families don’t have emotions for the females in the womb .  Today only one of my friends was telling me about  the reactions of family on her second daughter’s birth .  Right after delivery , she  had to listen to such  reactions like  ” Do do pathar paida kar diye isne  ”   Why such responses ? Why only a son’s birth is celebrated ? Why is a female child just not wanted to be born ? Why is she not considered as a Good Thing ?  For no fault of hers , why is she killed ? And who has given people such a right to murder ?

#WhenWillWeChange

Even in 21st century , there is a deep seated cultural preference for boys . I am a woman , a mother of a single girl child . Many questions arise in my mind . I want to ask  that  what bad does a daughter bring in your life, that you address her as  ‘Not a Good Thing’ or  ‘Wrong Sex ‘ ?  What a shameful act !

I have listened to many people talk of  female Foeticide  as a fine procedure because  otherwise their minds  would always be in  fear;  fear for  their daughters to be victims (of crimes like abuse and rape)  .But  in the fear of a future crime , you yourself commit a crime right now  ? What to say ?  I feel speechless sometimes .

Mindset of the society needs to change . A female has the right to her body even if she is still in the womb . Be Human . Stop Female Foeticide .

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my Kitchen

 Being a woman i also spend lot of time in my kitchen whether full heartedly , half heartedly or not at all heartedly . But in any case i have to go in my kitchen off and on . Today I feel like writing a letter to my kitchen. Dear Kitchen    Hope you are living a fulfilling life with all your jars filled to the brim with wheat , rice , pulses , sugar , tea ,coffee and cookies . I also hope that your sinks are now empty and clean unlike the last month when maid was on leave . Those days ,your sinks used to be piled up with utensils and it stinked so badly .  Dear kitchen , it's been around seventeen years that i am taking care of you . Now you are grown up as a teenager and so you should learn to be responsible and maintain your hygiene .  It feels good when my family agrees on khichdi and your cooker does the job   in  just one whistle . But you just don't cooperate when they demand Chole Bhature and you also start giving me tantrums . Remember ho...

Theme Reveal #BlogchatterA2Z 2022

I started my blog five years ago and my blogging journey during these five years has gone through many twists and turns . I started my blog on self hosted wordpress site , learnt lot many technical aspects like DA ,  SEO and latram patram .....Blogchatter has been a constant friend ( plus a big support) since then ....I have  successfully participated in  #BlogchatterA2Z three times .....and wrote two ebooks too during the process . All this was quite exciting you know as I got to understand a bit of creative side of writing , made some new blogger friends , and became a proud AUTHOR of two ebooks .  In 2018 my theme was #Astitva where I wrote about various stigmas faced by a woman in our society . In 2019 I wrote under the theme #Prerna where I uploaded  some inspirational posts . In 2020 all my blogposts were related to the life of middle aged women (as that was the time I had just stepped into my forties ) . That was the time I came up with the book 'The Silv...

Uplift your mood

 My evening today was not good . I was doing all domestic chores in a  burdened way. I tried watching some  movie but it couldn't interest me . One of my colleagues called to intimate me of  some upcoming duty. That further pressurized my bad  mood . I wore my shoes , put on my headphones and got ready for a walk . After walking for around half an hour and listening to old bollywood , my feet took me towards the splash pool where children were enjoying . I removed my shoes and sat there at the edge of the pool dipping my feet into the water. Watching me , one of my friends also came and sat along . Both of us sat for quite  long on the edge of pool - chatting and dabbling our toes in the water. This cooled my mind and uplifted my mood .  You need to find  your own ways to uplift your mood as and when required . Music , Dance ,Good food , Laughing , shopping ,picnic ,  playing any sport you like , painting , talking to someone , chanting a man...